- An outdoor, nature-based model that takes you out of your head and into your body
- An opportunity to become aware of patterns that are no longer serving you
- A safe, respectful environment to learn new life skills and tools through the feedback the horses can provide
- Aha moments of awareness and breakthroughs in as little as one EAL session
- We interact with horses, mostly at liberty.
- This means without tack/equipment/tethering
- This offers an opportunity to connect in a natural and authentic way.
- Horses can mirror our strengths, challenges, fears, and authentic expression.
- Horses help us bring focus and attention to the present moment.
- Engaging with horses requires clear and consistent communication.
- Nervous or afraid of horses? That’s ok.
- Sessions can be designed so that participants can benefit from the other side of the fence!
- Individual and/or group sessions are available.
- We don’t ride the horses
- It is not just for horse people, but for everyone – no experience necessary
- It is not about learning about horses, or horsemanship
- You don’t “love” horses, that’s ok. Horses don’t care and yet they can still help you love yourself
- Oh, yes, what about FEAR? Fear is real, and horses are large, flighty animals. It is good to have a healthy fear, and a beginners’ mind too! We are mindful of wherever you are on the fear scale, and modify sessions to help everyone feel safe and comfortable, including the horses!
- quiet reflection with the herd,
- interactive experiences with the horses,
- the opportunity to share insights, and
- integrate wisdom received from the horses.
Sessions can also be customized to include:
- intuitive and mindfulness exercises,
- creativity & music,
- sound and energy healing, and
- guided meditations.
“A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people to whom it is easy to do good, and who are not accustomed to have it done to them; then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one’s neighbor — such is my idea of happiness.”
~ Leo Tolstoy
FAQs AboutThe Ravenheart Experience
HOW CAN I BENEFIT FROM HORSES?
WHAT HEALING PROFESSIONALS CAN PARTNER WITH HORSES?
- Grief & Loss
- Youth and adolescence life skills and empowerment
- Family relations
- Depression, anxiety, stress
- Learning Challenges
- Autism spectrum
- PTSD & Trauma
I AM EXPERIENCED WITH HORSES - WILL I STILL BENEFIT FROM YOUR PROGRAM?
WILL WE GET TO RIDE THE HORSES?
CAN HORSES HELP WITH LIFE SKILLS?
- Trust and bonding
- Healthy Relationships and Social Skills
- Self-regulation and focus
- Empathy and understanding
- Courage and confidence
- Personal safety and recognizing danger
- Change and transitions
- Cooperation, responsibility, and problem solving
- Self-awareness and Self-Esteem
WHAT SHOULD I WEAR AROUND HORSES?
- You might get a little bit grubby! Horses are like that. ♥ Dress very casually, in layers for the weather, comfortable clothing that you are OK getting dusty or stained.
- Wear comfortable shoes or boots, and be prepared for Saskatchewan weather changes. It may start out cool in the morning, and then be very hot and sunny in the afternoon. It may rain, or become cold or snowy, depending on the season.
- Wear sturdy runners, hiking boots, or sturdier footwear, thinking about uneven ground, mud, and other “horsey” contributions. Please don’t wear soft or open-toed shoes, sandals, dawgs, etc.
- For your comfort, please bring a sun hat, rain gear, rubber boots, bug spray, and sunscreen – all depending on the season and the weather!
IS RAVENHEART OPEN ALL YEAR-AROUND?
- What happens during bad weather?Yes, although we adjust for extreme weather conditions of course, like very cold, snow, high winds, or heavy rain. We have indoor spaces for people, and a covered area for working with the horses. We may have to postpone and reschedule your session/retreat for these circumstances.
WHAT HAPPENS IN AN EQUINE ASSISTED LEARNING SESSION?
WHAT KIND OF PROFESSIONAL TRAINING DO RAVENHEART FACILITATOR(S) HAVE?
WHY USE THE RELATIONSHIP WITH HORSES FOR HEALING?
- Horses are helpful for self-development and personal growth, healing, grief, relationships, team-building, recovery, and learning.
- Horses are naturally highly aware of their environment and to anyone or anything in it, including people, animals, the weather, traffic, etc.
- For their own safety, and the safety of their herd mates, they are highly aware of body language, feelings, and emotions. Through specific exercises, careful observation, witnessing, a safe, respectful, and highly supportive environment, and an opportunity to be in a natural outdoor setting, participants can gain awareness and a deeper understanding of their patterns, struggles, and challenges, and learn new skills and coping abilities.
- Beyond the classroom, counselling office, or boardroom, horse facilitated sessions and activities provide people with opportunities to discover and develop their potential to thrive and reach their best potential.
Wise Willow Wishes You Well
Begin Your Journey of Discovery
The Ravenheart Way…
“Small children are convinced that ponies deserve to see the inside of the house.”
~ Maya Patel